Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Comatose Conversationalist

I had forgotten about this incident until reading a very recent post on Jana's blog in which she unabashedly admitted to sitting up in her sleep on a regular basis. I have done about everything in my sleep from hysterical yelling, to political conversations in gibberish (ask my mom), to sleep walking, sleep slapping (once again, ask my mom) and even some sleep tidying. Even with a lifetime of sleep related stories, this one that occurred a few weeks back was a first... at least to my knowledge :P

It was the day of my shower and I opened my phone to call Leslie. When I did, I noticed that Jen was at the very top of my recent calls list on my phone. I paused for a second and thought, "When did I last talk to Jen? It had to have been two days ago, so how is she at the top of my list?"

I decided this fell under the header of things I was not going to worry about and called Leslie anyway. Jen showed up for the shower in a bit of a frazzled state and said "I still couldn't come up with the platters, so hopefully Tess will get them here in time...." Uh, platters, what platters? Apparently my face told her I had no idea what she was talking about so she dove deeper.... "The ones I called you about last night? I'm sorry I called so late, I was in a panic cause I couldn't find anything in any of the stores." To this she received a blank stare which prompted her to ask;

Jen- "You DO remember me calling you last night, right? Around 11?"

Me- "No, I guess it didn't wake me up"

Jen- "You talked to me."

Me- "I what?? What did I say?"

Jen- "I asked if you had any platters and you told me you were sorry, but you didn't. I knew it, I knew you were asleep!!"

Me- "Not only was I asleep, I was a total liar.... I have at least three platters at home!"

I have to admit, finding out that I have a deceptive subconscious is somewhat disturbing. I mean, what if I start going around and spreading lies without even realizing it? Sheesh! Moral of the story is, if your going to call me, make sure it is before 10 if you want an honest answer. Oh, and if I tell you I have no platters, I'm totally full of it :P

4 comments:

Jen said...

My roommate text messaged someone in her sleep, telling them that her knee hurt and she couldn't go work out that morning. She had no recollection and there was nothing wrong with her knee. It was hilarious!

Abby said...

see.... now THAT is talent :)

Anonymous said...

My husband sleep walked and yelled at me for not appreciating penguins. If only I would have had a video camera...

Jen Lewis said...

I have been very behind in reading my blogs. I just happened upon this diddy. Hehe! I remember that. FUN times! I was so stressed that weekend. But in hindsight it is all so funny!!! I will make sure I talk to you long enough to wake you up next time I MUST talk to you at 11:00pm in the evening... (Note: I hope to never need to talk to you that late again.)