Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Unknown

So what is bumpy, red, and itchy all over? ME! For the last week and a half, my belly has been itching along the lower half and it's been pretty annoying. The most annoying thing is that it is totally normal to pregnancy and the itch killing things I have tried have had little or no effect. Now I wish I could go back to that phase instead of the one I'm in :P

On Saturday my extra-large belly broke out into a rash. By Sunday it was worse and by yesterday it had gotten even worse. I called my doctor yesterday morning expecting a prescription for anti-itch cream and instead I got to go in to have it looked at. Let me preface this story by laying out a few facts..... getting rashes in pregnancy is an indicator of three different conditions. Two if them are completely harmless (except for the constant discomfort of itching) and one of those, Puppps, is semi-common condition. The third is not so harmless and can cause preterm labor and fetal growth issues. Fact number two- my OB is very easy going and relaxed about things. I've known her for 5 years and I've never seen her worried.

So basically I go in and my doctor looks at the rash. The second she sees it, she looks concerned. She asks a few questions... I answer and she looks more concerned. She tells me that she thought when I called in that it was likely PUPPPs, but having seen it she now didn't think so. Anyhoo, I had blood taken and they are running some tests to try to figure out if what I have is serious or if it threatens Micah in any way. I should hopefully know by the end of the week what the results are. I am concerned, but I wouldn't say I'm anxious.... this would be God's doing since anxiety would be my usual response. The likelihood that I have something serious is very low as the serious conditions are very rare, but please still be praying for Micah's health and for my health. Also, please be praying for my tolerance of the itching... it is more of a constant burning now and has made life uncomfortable. Unfortunately, no matter what I have, it is unlikely that the rash will go away until Micah is born. I, for one, am praying that the Lord takes away the rash earlier than that :P


post signature

5 comments:

Tabaitha said...

I'll be praying for you guys.

Jen said...

Praying for you Abby!

Anonymous said...

On it.

Jen Lewis said...

I am praying for you!

Abby said...

Thanks everyone! I'll update when I know anything!