Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Narcoleptic Co-workers and you; A guide to survival

I believe the title to this little foray into my world about says it all, but then again not so I better elaborate. Yesterday I went down to the City of Houston to pick up our NTP documents for a project that I am working on. My pseudo manager at the moment went with me. For a little background, he is an incessant talker... seriously, never stops. So as we are driving (he is driving, technically) I notice that he is being awfully quiet not to mention that fact that he keeps zoning out. He takes the McKinney exit off of 45 to downtown going about 20 mph, which is unusual, and pulls up to the first light. I look over and his eyes are closed.

At this point I'm thinking, "Ok, he's just relaxing for a second." But then he did the wake up twitch that you do when you've fallen asleep accidentally, while simultaneously letting off the brake and giving me a split-second heart attack. Well, it worried me at least :P He proceeds to do this two more times and this light and 3-4 times at the next light where I have to wake him up and tell him that the light is green. At this point I am really glad that we are almost there so that I can just take over and drive home after we pick up the papers. He proceeds to fall asleep twice at the next light and several times WHILE driving in the parking garage. Turns out that he is on medication that causes drowsiness, but to me he looked either drunk or drugged. He was slurring and mumbling and taking 2 minutes to respond to things I would say. Anyhoo, the moral of the story is, tis better to offer to drive than to die :P

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I presume you did drive back, since you lived to tell about it. Scary story...sleep driving in Houston!

Mrs. Klink said...

HAHA! so true...as a narcoleptic i can attest that there is almost nothing scarier than falling asleep at the wheel!