Friday, June 29, 2007

Sour Charity

So last night Nate, myself and the group of regulars set off for our last musical from our season tickets that we got this year. The musical was Sweet Charity starring none other than Paige Davis from Trading Spaces fame. I was pretty excited.... I have a lot of friends that are big fans of the movie and I knew it had a lot of good dancing in it. Well, it became clear pretty quickly that the musical was on the, well, adult side of things. We're not talking Cabaret bad, but definitely more than most musicals that I have seen.

As the first act was drawing to a close I was really wanting to leave as my desire to get some decent sleep far outweighed my desire to find out what happened to Charity. There was a scene where she is locked in a closet that was fairly amusing, but still. As intermission was looming closer, Charity gets into a situation where she is stuck in an elevator with a claustrophobic man. It was HILARIOUS! The first act ended with that scene and all of us agreed that it totally redeemed the first act for us.

So I was fairly optimistic for the second act. It turned out to be ok, nothing too special, but I wasn't going to be sorry I stayed. And then the very last scene came... and I was sorry I stuck around. I have NEVER seen such a depressing ending to such an upbeat musical. Anyhoo, I do not recommend going to see it unless you don't need the sleep, have extra money lying around, and aren't particular about how entertaining a show has to be :P

But that is over and done with and guess what? IT'S FRIDAY!!!!!

1 comment:

Jen Lewis said...

I want to know how it ends... email me and tell me if you get a second. I guarantee you I won't see it. I have no money and need sleep... but I am still curious as to the ending. :P