Monday, June 18, 2007

Small birds and large celebrations

This was a sort of mega weekend for my family. My mom's birthday and Father's Day were both yesterday and my dad's birthday is not far behind... yes, my parents are only 2.5 weeks apart in age... cute, right? :) Nate and I went to hang out with them at the new casa on Friday and Saturday. Mostly we went in the pool, ate, played pool, ate and listened to the birds chirping. Wait a second, those birds sound a little bit louder than I would expect them to seeing as how we are inside. Unless...... Oh, there they go again. Ummm, does anyone else think the birds are living in the fireplace? Show of hands? Well, after 24 hours of this, we were convinced that the birds had decided to move in with my parents which is sweet but mostly annoying.

On Saturday we decide to light a fire and try to get them to leave. All of you PETA peeps out there, we weren't trying to roast them only to get them to leave..... the fire was only lit for a short period of time. Well, this got them riled up but didn't so much get them to leave. Hmmmm, well, we'll just worry about it later. So later, my mom, Nate and I are all sitting in the den and we hear a flapping of wings... CLOSE. Like, expecting to see the bird in the grate close. We all stare at the fireplace until it happens again. "Ummmm, Dad.... did you close the Floo?" Turns out the after he turned off the fire, the floo did indeed stay open. My dad climbed into the fireplace with a flashlight and proceeded to poke the fluttering bird and he freaked out and flew away. This was after he left his droppings on the fake gas logs, of course :) Fun times.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Shudder. I hate birds.

Liz said...

That reminds me of living in The Woodlands. We used to get all sorts of critters stuck in our chimney. Then there were the birds who would fly into the windows that were high up on the wall. (Maybe Jen would enjoy that.) Good times. :)

Abby said...

I'm pretty sure that Jen is anti anything involving birds attempting to come into the house. The concept doesn't bother me, but if they actually got in, then I would take issue with that :P

Anonymous said...

hey, abby, where are you parents living? mine live in north lake village in cinco ranch....

Jen said...

It would be quite entertaining to watch them slam into a window. Mean, but entertaining.

Abby said...

Mine are also in North Lake! They should be best friends :)